Adding simple syrup made with tart cherry juice and muddling a few extra Ontario cherries creates a mojito worthy of a celebration. Although this drink is so delicious you might just want to celebrate everyday!
1. In a saucepan, stir together cherry juice and sugar.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. Stir frequently, until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
4. This makes approximately 1.5 cups of simple syrup which may be kept covered in the fridge for 1 week.
1. In a tall glass, place cherries, mint and lime juice.
2. Muddle or mash gently to release flavours. Add cherry simple syrup and rum. If possible, let sit for flavours to develop for up to 30 minutes.
3. Gently add the ice
4. To create a visual layer between the pink and clear liquid, slowly pour soda or sparkling water over the back of a tablespoon to complete the drink.
5. Enjoy responsibly!